The point of sharing these “Harris household” menu logs is simply to make it easier to choose healthy food by having it ready to go.
My aim is to expose my journey where the burning desire and inspiration is to create delicious, predominantly plant based snacks and meals. Being partial to lean meat, particularly of the game variety, seafood and cultured/fermented dairy you will also find these on the menu. Picture lots of vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olives and fruits with a little free range meat, chicken, fish, cheese and yoghurt.
Bottom line, hunting for a healthier way.
See Weekly menu for any further introduction.
The focus this week is:
1. Game or free range meat is from animals that have been active and reliant on their natural diet. The meat is has a lower fat content overall making it lower in saturated fat but additionally the profile of the fat content is more omega 3 being anti-inflammatory and less omega 6 being pro-inflammatory. This group is also rich in iron and zinc.
2. Black beans are a great way to reduce meat and increase plant protein and fibre. Black beans are also rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids delphinidin, petunidin and malvidin providing the black skin colour. Also present are the usual “brilliant” suspects you’ll find in the legume group, being kaempferol and quercetin. Whilst these essential components are lowering your risk of heart disease and cancer the other characters at play are the fibres feeding your gut bacteria and lowering the risk of diabetes. YAY – awesome! It’s no wonder why there are some clever countries recommending a “1/2 cup” serve of legumes every day.
See Recipes section for more detail…
1. Chicken stir fry with plum sauce and brown rice
Protein – Free range chook (leftover from week 1 warmed with the plum sauce)
Carb/Grain – Brown rice
Flavours – Plum sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger
Vegetables – onion, carrot, celery, bok choy, broccoli, kale, red cabbage, snow peas, capsicum, zucchini
2. Grilled Salmon, steamed vegetables and brown rice
Protein – Salmon
Carb/Grain – Brown rice
Flavours – Kecap manis, lemon juice
Vegetables – Mushroom, kale, spring onion, squash
3. Mexican tacos with black beans, kangaroo mince and salad
Protein – Kangaroo, black beans
Carb/Grain – Corn – taco
Flavours – Turmeric, paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic, lemon juice
Vegetables – onion, carrot, celery, tomato, capsicum
+ Salad – tomato, carrot, capsicum, mushroom, avocado, red cabbage
4. Leftover Mexican beans and mince on brown rice
5. Soy beans with roast vegetables
Protein – Soy beans
Carb/Grain – Potato, Sweet potato
Flavours – Turmeric, cumin, olive oil, salt and pepper with a dressing of balsamic vinegar, thyme, basil, parsley, chilli
Vegetables – Potato, pumpkin, carrot, capsicum, beetroot, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, steamed kale
6. Grilled mushrooms with halloumi and quinoa salad
Protein – halloumi cheese
Carb/Grain – quinoa
Flavours – Mayonnaise, sambal chilli, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, thyme
Vegetables – Portabelllo mushroom, tomato, spinach, cucumber, broccoli sprouts
7. Sous vide beef rump with roast vegetables and caramelised onion
Protein – Free range beef
Carb/grain – Potato, parsnip
Flavours – garlic, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper
Vegetables – onion, potato, parsnip, broccoli, mushroom